CV- Professor Yitzhak Conforti
2003 Ph.D. Jewish History, Bar Ilan University, cum laude.
1997 M.A. Jewish History, Bar Ilan University.
1990 B.A. Jewish History and Education, Hebrew University, cum laude.
2. Academic Appointment
2022- Associate Professor, Jewish History Department, Bar Ilan University
2012-2022 Senior Lecturer, Jewish History Department, Bar Ilan University
2007-2012 Lecturer, Jewish History Department, Bar-Ilan University
2007-2008 Adjunct Lecturer, Institute for Contemporary Jewry Hebrew University
2003-2007 Adjunct Lecturer, Jewish History Department, Bar-Ilan University
2016- 2019 Head of the institute for the study of the Land of Israel and its Yishuv, Bar Ilan University.
3. Grants and Awards
2022 Visiting Scholar, Taub Center for Israel Studies, New York University.
2022 Fellow (Visiting Scholar), Center for Jewish History, New York.
2020 The Rector Prize for Scientific Innovation, Bar Ilan University.
2015 Fellow, Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies, University of Pennsylvania.
2014 Visiting Scholar, Taub Center for Israel Studies, New York University.
2014 Visiting Scholar, Center for Jewish History, New York.
2008 Riklis Prize, The faculty of Law and Judaic studies, Bar Ilan University.
2007 Hecht Prize, University of Haifa Herzl Institute.
2006 Ish Shalom Prize, Yad Izhak Ben Zvi Institute.
2005 Visiting Scholar, Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies, Oxford.
2003 The Mozes M. Schuf Fellowship.
- The Prof. Jacob Katz Fellowship, The Zalman Shazar Center for Jewish History
1999- 2003 The President and the Dean Fellowship, Bar Ilan University.
4. Papers Presented at Academic Conferences and Seminars (Selected):
1. “Religion and Jewish Nationalism: The case of the Hebrew Bible,” ICHS-CISH The International Association for Historical Sciences, August 21-27, 2022, Poznan, Poland.
2. “The Zionist Utopia and Nation Building,” AIS Conference 27-29 June, Bar Ilan University, 2022.
3. “Zionism and the Bible in Mandate Palestine,” AIS Conference 7-9 June 2021 (University of Illinois On-line).
4. “Zionism and the Bible: A Cultural Dimension of Jewish Nationalism,” ASEN Conference (London April 8th On-line).
5. “Zionism and the Bible” AJS Annual Conference (Washington D.C. On-line) 14 December 2020.
6. “The Zionist Consciousness and the Hebrew Bible” (Sede Boquer Colloquium Ben Gurion University of the Negev), 7 January 2020.
7. “Understanding Early Zionism: A Cultural Approach” AIS Annual conference (Berkeley University, June 2018)
8. “Traditional roots in Early Zionism” EAJS conference (Krakow, July 2018)
9. “History and Utopia in the Zionist Movement”, AIS Annual conference (Brandies University, June 2017)
10. “Ethno Symbolism and Jewish Nationalism” ASEN Conference (LSE University London, April 2017)
11. “East and West in Early Zionism: Between Hibbat Zion and Political Zionism,” AIS Annual conference (Begin Institute, Jerusalem June 2016)
12. “How to Sustain Jewish Culture in the Age of Nationalism?” AIS Annual conference (Concordia University, Canada, June 1-3, 2015)
13. “Wissenschaft for the People: Early Zionist Scholars and Jewish Academic Studies”, Doing Wissenschaft: The Academic Study of Judaism as Practice 1818-2018, 21st Annual Gruss Colloquium in Judaic Studies (Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies, University of Pennsylvania, April 27-28, 2015).
14. “The Impact of Wissenschaft des Judentums on Jewish Nationalism and Zionism,” The Role of Scholarship in the Shaping of Jewish Identity – A Symposium on the Wissenschaft des Judentums (Leo Back Institute, Center for Jewish History, New York March 1, 2015).
15. “The Ethnic and Cultural Origins of Zionist Historiography,” Hebert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies, Ruth Meltzer seminar (University of Pennsylvania January 28, 2015).
16. “Exile or State in Jewish National Historiography,” World Union of Jewish Studies (Jerusalem July 28 – August 1, 2013).
17. “Land and People: Territorial and Ethnic Dimensions in Zionism,” AJS Conference (Chicago, December 16-18 2012)
18. “Searching for a Homeland: The Territorial Dimension in the Zionist Movement and the Boundaries of Jewish Nationalism,” ASEN Conference (London School of Economics, March 2012).
19. “Zionist Awareness of the Jewish Past: Inventing Tradition or Renewing the Ethnic Past?” ASEN Conference (London School of Economics, April 2011).
20. “Ethnic or Civic Jewish State in Herzl's and Ahad Ha’am’s Vision,” Nationalism and Ethics – The Zionist Discourse and Arab Problem, (Tel Aviv University, March 2011).
21. “The Cultural Alternative: Charisma and Reason in the Zionist Movement,” ASEN Conference (London School of Economics, April 2010).
22. “Between Nationalism and Universalism in the Zionist Vision,” AIS Conference (University of Toronto, May 2010).
23. “History and Utopia: Past Awareness and Future Shaping in Zionism,” World Union of Jewish Studies (Jerusalem, 2-6 August 2009)
24. “Between Civic and Ethnic: Israel in light of the Zionist Utopia,” AJS Conference (Washington, 21-23 December 2008)
25. “East and West in Jewish Nationalism: Confronting Types in the Zionist Movement,” ASEN Conference (London School of Economics, April 2008).
26. “The 'New Jew' in Zionist Thought: Ideology and Historiography,” AAJS Conference, Monash University, Melbourne Australia (February17-18, 2008).
27. “Nationalism and Historical Continuity in Jewish History,” AJS Annual Conference Washington DC, USA (December 18-20, 2005).
28. “Between History and Memory: Jacob Katz as a Zionist Historian,” International Conference at Zalman Shazar Institute, The Israeli Historical Society, Jerusalem (February 1-2, 2004).
29. “Alternative Voices in Zionist Historiography,” AJS Annual Conference, Boston Mass. USA (December 21-23, 2003).