Prof. Baumel Schwartz Judy
Monday 13:00-14:00 by appointment through the secretariat of the School of Basic Jewish Studies
Higher Education University Year
B.A. Bar-Ilan University 1980
M.A. Bar-Ilan University 1982
Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University 1986
Teaching in the Department of Jewish History at Bar Ilan from 1998.
Full Prof. in the department from 2011.
Positions Held Inside the University:
2001-03 Member of the Board of the Fanya Gottesfeld Heller Institute for the
Study of Women in Judaism
2001-15 Member of the Interdisciplinary Committee
2002-03 Chair, Finkler Institute of Holocaust Research
2002-03 Chair, Institute for the History of the Jewish People in the Modern Era
2002-13 Chair, Graduate Program in Contemporary Jewry
2003-10 Member of the Board of the Rapoport Institute for the Study of Jewish Assimilation
2004 - Member of the Teaching Committee of the Midrasha and Magal
2004 - Member of the Five Year Planning Committee for the Magal (Machon
Hagavoha Letorah and Midrasha)
2009-11 Chair of the Zorach Warhaftig Institute for Religious Zionism
2011-14 Member of the University Ph.D. Committee
2011- Director, the Fanya Gottesfeld-Heller Institute for the Study of Women in Judaism
2012-16 Member of the University Senate
2013 - Director of the Helena and Paul Schulmann School for Basic Jewish Studies
- Member of the Academic Commemoration Committee of the Department for
Soldier Commemoration, Department of Defense, Tel-Aviv.
- University Representative, Scientific Committee of Yad-Vashem, Jerusalem.
- Member of the Academic Committee of “Sefer HaMa’apil” [Book of Illegal
Immigrants to Palestine], Atlit Museum, JNF.
- Historian of the OTC Organization (One Thousand Children), Washington, D.C., USA.
- Member of the Academic Committee of “The Scroll of the Holocaust”,
Schechter Institute of Jewish Studies
- Member of the Academic Committee of “Remember the Women” Institute, New York.
- Historical Advisor for the Exhibition “Spots of Light: To Be a Woman in the
Holocaust”, Yad Vashem, 2007.
- Member of the academic boards of the books "Asor Shlishi" ("The Third
Decade") and "Asor Revi'i" ("The Fourth Decade"), Yad Yitzchak Ben-Zvi, Jerusalem.
- Member of the Public Committee for the Commemoration of Ze'ev Jabotinsky
Topics of Academic Study:
1) Zionism and the history of the State of Israel (with emphasis on the topics of gender and memory);
2) American Jewry during the Twentieth Century (with emphasis on the American Jewish radical right wing);
3) The Holocaust: Gender, Commemoration and Memory in the Twentieth Century Jewish Experience.
4) The Orthodox and ultra-Orthodox (with emphasis on gender) since the Second World War.
5) The American-Jewish immigrant experience
6) Gender with emphasis on the Holocaust, The DPs, American Jewish Women, The Yishuv and the State of Israel, and Orthodox Jewish women.